How to SORN My Motorbike

Published on

We all know that British winters (and sometimes even summers) rarely provide the weather to make you want to break out your two-wheeler, so what do you do if your bike is only going to be ridden for a handful of months a year? 

One of the simplest options, and one that will save you money, is to declare your bike as off-the-road with the DVLA. This declaration, known as a Statutory Off Road Notice (SORN), means that the vehicle no longer needs taxing, saving you money. However, note that the bike must be completely off the road from the moment it is declared SORN – it must be on private property, such as a driveway, garage or yard, and cannot be parked on the street.

Can you SORN a Motorcycle online?

Declaring your motorcycle SORN online is by far the easiest way of doing so. Using the 11-digit number on your V5C (log book), or the 16-digit number from your V11 tax reminder letter, you can  complete a SORN application instantly via the website – so ensure the bike is already off the road otherwise you will be breaking the law by the time you close your web browser. 

How do you SORN a motorcycle off the road?

Not only can you SORN a motorcycle online, but you can also do it by post (sent to the DVLA headquarters in Swansea) or by phone, using the same reference numbers as above. If you use your V11 reference number, it will not get put into effect until the first day of the next month. You will also receive a cheque from the DVLA refunding you for any full months of tax you have left.

motorbike ready to register as SORN

How much does it cost to SORN a motorcycle?

It will not cost you a penny to SORN a motorcycle, just like if you were trying to SORN a car or van. The only time it is likely to cost you any money is if you are unable to find your V5C so cannot provide your 11-digit number. You can apply for a replacement V5C from the DVLA online or by phone for just £25.

How long does it take to SORN a motorcycle?

If you are completing your application online, then the SORN will be active the moment you complete the form, while applications by post may take a little longer, accounting for postal delays.

Do you need to SORN a motorcycle?

If you know your bike isn’t going to be moving for any significant period of time, then it would be better for you to declare SORN, however it is not a requirement. One of the most important things is to remember that the bike must be kept off the road at all times – including green lanes and byways, and that you must tax and insure your bike again before it is returned to the road.

How long does a SORN last?

SORN declarations do not expire, so it will last as long as necessary before you retax the motorcycle – just make sure you do before you take it back on the road or you could find yourself slapped with a heavy fine.
If your bike has been sitting in the garage or driveway for a long time and you know it’s unlikely to move again for a very long time, if at all, then it may be better to simply send it off for scrap. Here at National Scrap Car we can help you every step of the way, getting the very best price for your motorcycle, and we’ll even come and collect it from you, at no extra cost.

For more information, be sure to get in touch with the team today.